Dukascopy

Wiki JStore Search Login

trailing stop
 Post subject: trailing stop Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Wed 07 Sep, 2011, 20:42 

User rating: -
Hi , sorry for my english , but where is the trailing stop ?
I click on edit order but I don't see the trailing stop function . Why ?
thanks

Post subject: Re: trailing stop Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Wed 07 Sep, 2011, 22:12 

User rating: 0
FL_Goldman wrote:
Hi , sorry for my english , but where is the trailing stop ?
I click on edit order but I don't see the trailing stop function . Why ?
thanks

It's not enabled for the contest platform. So ya sorry homie, you won't be able to use trailing stoping.

Post subject: Re: trailing stop Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Thu 08 Sep, 2011, 07:23 

User rating: 1
Trailing stop doesn't work like MT4 to fix a pipwise trailing stop and forget.

You need to manually change the stoploss every time you are in profit. for eg. if you are long in eur/usd at 1.4 when it moves to 1.4050, you need to move the SL to 1.4025 and at 1.4075, move the SL to 1.4050 etc manually.

To modify SL, you need to right click on your position and select "change stop loss"

Post subject: Re: trailing stop Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Thu 08 Sep, 2011, 09:53 

User rating: 8
NagarajaAdiga wrote:
Trailing stop doesn't work like MT4 to fix a pipwise trailing stop and forget.

You need to manually change the stoploss every time you are in profit. for eg. if you are long in eur/usd at 1.4 when it moves to 1.4050, you need to move the SL to 1.4025 and at 1.4075, move the SL to 1.4050 etc manually.

To modify SL, you need to right click on your position and select "change stop loss"

Right, but please note that this sequence refers only to the contest platform due to the existence of certain trading limitations.

In the regular Demo platform the trailing stop is available.

Post subject: Re: trailing stop Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Tue 13 Sep, 2011, 17:28 

Doesn't work like MT4 in Live either. You can have the stop trailing with a "trailing step" set at 40 and be 80 pips up but your stop is still where you put it fro the beginning. I lost about $40 on that today. I haven't figured out how the trailing stop works here but it is NOT as in MT4. If the "Platform Manual" actually worked instead of returning an empty page I might be able to find out.

Post subject: Re: trailing stop Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Wed 14 Sep, 2011, 12:38 

fjollon wrote:
Doesn't work like MT4 in Live either. You can have the stop trailing with a "trailing step" set at 40 and be 80 pips up but your stop is still where you put it fro the beginning. I lost about $40 on that today. I haven't figured out how the trailing stop works here but it is NOT as in MT4. If the "Platform Manual" actually worked instead of returning an empty page I might be able to find out.

Please find the description of the Trailing stop in the Wiki: https://www.dukascopy.com/wiki/index.php ... ntry_Order

Refer to the section "Order edition".

Note that the trailing stop is NOT available in the contest version of the platform.

Post subject: Re: trailing stop Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Sat 17 Sep, 2011, 16:34 

Contest Support wrote:
Please find the description of the Trailing stop in the Wiki: https://www.dukascopy.com/wiki/index.php ... ntry_Order

Note that the trailing stop is NOT available in the contest version of the platform.

Thanks, but I still not understand HOW it trails. In MT4 the S/L line moves in real time with the price. Ie. if you have a trailing stop set at 50 and you are 50 pips plus in the trade, the S/L will be at breakeven. If the price moves up another pip, the S/L will immediately move up 1 more pip to breakeven +1 and so on. It doesn't work that way in you platform and I can't see in the link above how/when the S/L moves.

Post subject: Re: trailing stop Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Mon 19 Sep, 2011, 12:49 

fjollon wrote:
Contest Support wrote:

Thanks, but I still not understand HOW it trails. In MT4 the S/L line moves in real time with the price. Ie. if you have a trailing stop set at 50 and you are 50 pips plus in the trade, the S/L will be at breakeven. If the price moves up another pip, the S/L will immediately move up 1 more pip to breakeven +1 and so on. It doesn't work that way in you platform and I can't see in the link above how/when the S/L moves.

In contrast to MT4, in JForex the minimal trailing increment is 10 pips. E.g. if you set a Trailing stop with a step of "15" the SL will be shifted accordingly after every 15 pips move of the instrument's price. The same logic exists in MT4 with the only difference that he step can be set to "1".

Post subject: Re: trailing stop Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Mon 19 Sep, 2011, 16:36 

Contest Support wrote:
fjollon wrote:
Contest Support wrote:

In contrast to MT4, in JForex the minimal trailing increment is 10 pips. E.g. if you set a Trailing stop with a step of "15" the SL will be shifted accordingly after every 15 pips move of the instrument's price. The same logic exists in MT4 with the only difference that he step can be set to "1".

The trailing stop in MT4 does not regulate how "often" the original stop will be moved, eg each 15 pips. It defines the distance between the highest price and the trailing stop.

If you go long at 1.0000 and put your original stop @ 0.9800 (200 pips below entry) and put a trailing stop at 10 pips, your original stop will stay until your position is 10 pips plus (@1.0010). At this point the value of the original stop is completely irrelevant. The stop will move from 200 pips below entry to break-even when the position is 10 pips plus. When it is 11 pips plus the stop will move up 1 pip and so on until price turns and takes the stop out. It will do the exact same thing regardless of if the original stop was 3 pips under entry or 300 pips under entry. Once the trailing is in effect the value of the original stop is "forgotten".

As I understand it, the original stop will move in your platform. If the trailing step is 50, then the original stop will move up 50 pips each time the position has gained another 50 pips?

Thanks for your explaination!

Post subject: Re: trailing stop Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Tue 20 Sep, 2011, 12:26 

fjollon wrote:
Contest Support wrote:
fjollon wrote:
Contest Support wrote:

The trailing stop in MT4 does not regulate how "often" the original stop will be moved, eg each 15 pips. It defines the distance between the highest price and the trailing stop.

If you go long at 1.0000 and put your original stop @ 0.9800 (200 pips below entry) and put a trailing stop at 10 pips, your original stop will stay until your position is 10 pips plus (@1.0010). At this point the value of the original stop is completely irrelevant. The stop will move from 200 pips below entry to break-even when the position is 10 pips plus. When it is 11 pips plus the stop will move up 1 pip and so on until price turns and takes the stop out. It will do the exact same thing regardless of if the original stop was 3 pips under entry or 300 pips under entry. Once the trailing is in effect the value of the original stop is "forgotten".

As I understand it, the original stop will move in your platform. If the trailing step is 50, then the original stop will move up 50 pips each time the position has gained another 50 pips?

Thanks for your explaination!

Yes, you got the example totally right. If the trailing step is "X", the original stop will move up "X" pips every time the position has gained "X" pips from the base price.

Post subject: Re: trailing stop Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Mon 10 Oct, 2011, 07:13 

Still not get how this is supposed to work. Tried it today but the result was not at all what I expected.

I took a long position in EURUSD shortly after open last night. This morning when I woke up the position was up 70 pips or so and I moved the stop to break even plus ca 15 pips. A short while ago the position was up with about 80 pips so I decided to activate the trailing stop.

I was doing this through my iPhone. I had the stop about 80 pips below the price and activated the trailing stop with 10 pips step. To me this meant that when the position gains another 10 pips from when I have activated the trailing step, the stop will move up 10 pips. Instead of this happening the position was closed immediately when I tapped "OK" on my iPhone to activate the trailing.

I have now reentered the position at a slightly better price so it's not a problem - but what did I do wrong?

Post subject: Re: trailing stop Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Thu 27 Oct, 2011, 15:37 

@fjollon, trailing stop of 10 pips, means 10 pips behind the current price not to jump 10 pips from your current stop

Post subject: Re: trailing stop Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Mon 31 Oct, 2011, 16:50 

trezx wrote:
@fjollon, trailing stop of 10 pips, means 10 pips behind the current price not to jump 10 pips from your current stop

In MT4, yes. If you read the entire thread you will see that it does not work that way with the Dukascopy platform. Regardless, the position closed less than 1 second after I activated the trailing. I haven't used it since and I never will.

Post subject: trailing stop Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Fri 04 Nov, 2011, 19:11 

Thanks cleon,
I would be interested in exchanging ideas. Lets keep that open. I dont mind doing that here.

The Fractal system I posted was not so much to reccommend the strategy, but more to show what adding a trailing stop to it would do.

Bemac

Jump to:  

© 1998-2024 Dukascopy® Bank SA
On-line Currency forex trading with Swiss Forex Broker - ECN Forex Brokerage,
Managed Forex Accounts, introducing forex brokers, Currency Forex Data Feed and News
Currency Forex Trading Platform provided on-line by Dukascopy.com