Dukascopy

Wiki JStore Search Login

Jforex tester runs too slow
 Post subject: Jforex tester runs too slow Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Mon 24 Mar, 2014, 21:37 

User rating: 0
Hi, I am trying to test several strategies, but I realized that the jforex tester runs sometimes quicker depending on the messages in the Java console. Sometimes the tester just stays in a percentage level (e.g. 40%) and does not run anymore, or it takes a lot of time to overcome that testing point (delay time could be 10/20/30 minutes).
The message I receive ais this:
24.03.2014 14:35:54.501 WARNING connect.cu ] White Label Image is not received

(I attached full java box message)

I bought a new PC in order to increase the speed of testings, but it seems as the javatester runs the same in any PC, and I think is because of a bug.

My PC:

i4770K
16GB DDR3 RAM 2400
HD Toshiba 7200 RPM
ASUS Z87PRO MOTHERBOARD

I test the same strategies in my laptop (which is pretty slower than my PC) and I get the same testing average time.

Testing mode:
-Last three months
-Ticks
-No visual mode and no optimization

What is the problem? Is it a problem of historical tester? Or it does not matter how fast a PC is?

Thanks,

Attachments:
Java Message.txt [2.24 KiB]
Downloaded 138 times
DISCLAIMER: Dukascopy Bank SA's waiver of responsability - Documents, data or information available on this webpage may be posted by third parties without Dukascopy Bank SA being obliged to make any control on their content. Anyone accessing this webpage and downloading or otherwise making use of any document, data or information found on this webpage shall do it on his/her own risks without any recourse against Dukascopy Bank SA in relation thereto or for any consequences arising to him/her or any third party from the use and/or reliance on any document, data or information found on this webpage.

Post subject: Re: Jforex tester runs too slow Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Wed 26 Mar, 2014, 16:45 
Visual JForex expert at Dukascopy

User rating: 27
Greetings!

Did you try to run the strategy on JForex? It should be much faster...

If it is on JForex also extremely slow than I kindly ask you to send the strategy.

I will contact a developer about this - it is probably because of historical tester, indeed.

Post subject: Re: Jforex tester runs too slow Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Fri 28 Mar, 2014, 06:25 

Hi Dirk, thanks so much for your answer. I am testing on Jforex. I think that it is taking so much time because of the downloading of Tick data from Dukascopy server, because after I made a test during a certain period of time (e.g 2005-2006), if I do it again between the same period (2005-2006), testing time is pretty much faster.

Is it possible to convert Dukascopy tick data.csv which you can download from here: https://www.dukascopy.com/swiss/english/ ... storical/# into .bi5 ? (The last one is the file extension that Jforex uses in cache).

If the first option is not viable, is it possible to test in Jforex using csv data or hst data from Dukascopy?

I will really appreciate if you can hepl me with this.

Thanks,

The Best Answer  Post subject: Re: Jforex tester runs too slow Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Fri 04 Apr, 2014, 08:43 
Visual JForex expert at Dukascopy

User rating: 27
Greetings!

Basically, if you run or test a strategy a second time over the same period then it should be way more faster, indeed. Because you need to cache the feed first and then, once it is cached, things speeding up.
But as said before in my presentations, try to build your strategy as efficient as possible meaning not using too many resources (CPU, RAM, Tick-info).

Quote:
Is it possible to convert Dukascopy tick data.csv which you can download from here: https://www.dukascopy.com/swiss/english/ ... storical/# into .bi5 ? (The last one is the file extension that Jforex uses in cache).

If the first option is not viable, is it possible to test in Jforex using csv data or hst data from Dukascopy?

It is possible, but very complex.
If you want me to have a look at your strategy, please send me it. Maybe I can improve the logic a bit.

Cheers

Post subject: Re: Jforex tester runs too slow Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Thu 24 Apr, 2014, 23:35 

Thank you so much, in fact, for some reason after serveal days of testing, now testing on tick data (all ticks) take 1 or 2 hours depending on code.

Thank you guys for your help.

Jump to:  

© 1998-2024 Dukascopy® Bank SA
On-line Currency forex trading with Swiss Forex Broker - ECN Forex Brokerage,
Managed Forex Accounts, introducing forex brokers, Currency Forex Data Feed and News
Currency Forex Trading Platform provided on-line by Dukascopy.com