Dukascopy

Wiki JStore Search Login

Registration for September contest
 Post subject: Registration for September contest Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Sat 27 Aug, 2011, 11:07 

User rating: 0
Dear Dukascopy Contest Committee,

How can I register for September Article Contest?

Because the "Subscribe" button at https://www.dukascopy.com/fxcomm/ is not enabled yet for September entry.

Regards,
Ritesh

Post subject: Re: Registration for September contest Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Sat 27 Aug, 2011, 11:43 

User rating: -
ritesh wrote:
Dear Dukascopy Contest Committee,

How can I register for September Article Contest?

Because the "Subscribe" button at https://www.dukascopy.com/fxcomm/ is not enabled yet for September entry.

Regards,
Ritesh

There is a minimum threshold of 100 participants for the contest. As long as that is not met, the contest will roll over to next month. Hence you will not see subscribe button for September.

Post subject: Re: Registration for September contest Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Mon 29 Aug, 2011, 02:20 

Guest wrote:
There is a minimum threshold of 100 participants for the contest. As long as that is not met, the contest will roll over to next month. Hence you will not see subscribe button for September.

Thanks guest. However the participant count has already surpassed the 100 count threshold. ;)

Post subject: Re: Registration for September contest Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Mon 29 Aug, 2011, 19:24 

ritesh wrote:
Guest wrote:

Thanks guest. However the participant count has already surpassed the 100 count threshold. ;)

sorry for my bad english ritesh, i meant to say, the active participants. your attachment only shows registered participants but not all have submitted articles.

I just read amendments in rule saying there will be new contest every month and the prize will be distributed in %, based on active participation. it will be fun next month onwards...

Post subject: Re: Registration for September contest Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Tue 30 Aug, 2011, 00:17 

Guest wrote:
sorry for my bad english ritesh, i meant to say, the active participants. your attachment only shows registered participants but not all have submitted articles.

I just read amendments in rule saying there will be new contest every month and the prize will be distributed in %, based on active participation. it will be fun next month onwards...

Thanks Guest for defining the active participant term. Yes it's nice that contest is evolving and I welcome the changes meant for fun in future months.

However I think it's not fair to change the rules on last two days of contest. The proportion system added to august month rules for sure takes away all fun from active participants, as instead of getting e.g. $1000, one would get $ 280 [as 28/156 active participants, so 28% as per proportion]. This amount is not at all worth the effort each active participant has undertaken in drafting the article series plan and typing/designing it.

Value of prize should be a measure of the content (quality, innovation, effort, uniqueness, readability, design, etc) and not a factor of participants count. So to put this one nicely, sudden change in rules for present month are not motivating. :cry:

Wishing Dukascopy all the success with their wonderful initiatives. More power to you guys. :P

Post subject: Re: Registration for September contest Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Tue 30 Aug, 2011, 09:48 

User rating: 8
ritesh wrote:
Guest wrote:

Thanks Guest for defining the active participant term. Yes it's nice that contest is evolving and I welcome the changes meant for fun in future months.

However I live in present, so think it's not fair to change the rules on last two days of contest. The proportion system added to august month rules for sure takes away all fun from active participants, as instead of getting e.g. $1000, one would get $ 280 [as 28/156 active participants, so 28% as per proportion]. This amount is not at all worth the effort each active participant has undertaken in drafting the article series plan and typing/designing it.

Value of prize should be a measure of the content (quality, innovation, effort, uniqueness, readability, design, etc) and not a factor of participants count. So to put this one nicely, sudden change in rules for present month are not motivating. :cry:

Wishing Dukascopy all the success with their wonderful initiatives. More power to you guys. :P

With the previous version of rules, the contest period would have been extended for at least a month until there were 100 active participants. On our point view, it is better to start every month from scratch to make the conditions more even for all of the participants, as to extend the contest until there are enough active blogers.

The idea is - the further it gets, the harder it is for a newbie to compete with those in the top 10 so everybody just keeps waiting until the Contest Period ends, which of course does not happen (we do not have 100 active users). We are really looking forward to encouraging new users take part in the competition - we want many people, many exciting articles, comments, etc. We do really want to develop this contest and the whole community; thus you will see some new functions in the next few weeks as well as design changes.

We do understand that it might seem unfair to suddenly cut the prize, but again, it is better to award the efforts(even not on the full-scale), but not make people wait for uncertain period of time.

Post subject: Re: Registration for September contest Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Tue 30 Aug, 2011, 17:54 

Quote:
However I think it's not fair to change the rules on last two days of contest. The proportion system added to august month rules for sure takes away all fun from active participants, as instead of getting e.g. $1000, one would get $ 280 [as 28/156 active participants, so 28% as per proportion]. This amount is not at all worth the effort each active participant has undertaken in drafting the article series plan and typing/designing it.

you have not understood the contest amended rule properly i suppose. the prize distribution doesn't work as you think but it's in the following way.

if there are 100 participants who've submitted the article, then the first prize money is $5000
if there are 75 participants, who've submitted the article, then the first prize money is $5000*75%=$3750
if there are 50 participants who've submitted the article, then the first prize money is $5000*50%=$2500
if there are 30 participants who've submitted the article, then the first prize money is $5000*30%=$1500

Change is the rule of world and things can't stay static. The trader contest rules have been undergoing changes since 2nd month and we need to oblige their rules.

more over it's not sudden. this change of rule motivates a lot of traders or writers to participate in bigger no from next month same way we witnessed in trader contest. initially there were few contestants below 500 but now it's more than 1000. unless dukascopy break the ice, traders/writers won't come out.

it's really a good amendment in my opinion.

Post subject: Re: Registration for September contest Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Tue 30 Aug, 2011, 20:07 

Guest wrote:
you have not understood the contest amended rule properly i suppose. the prize distribution doesn't work as you think but it's in the following way.

if there are 100 participants who've submitted the article, then the first prize money is $5000
if there are 75 participants, who've submitted the article, then the first prize money is $5000*75%=$3750
if there are 50 participants who've submitted the article, then the first prize money is $5000*50%=$2500
if there are 30 participants who've submitted the article, then the first prize money is $5000*30%=$1500

My calculation is same as you did above, that there are 28 participants who submitted article this month, so 28% of prize money. Correct me if wrong.

Guest wrote:
Change is the rule of world and things can't stay static.
I've also wholeheartedly welcomed all changes, you've missed reading my post before commenting? In past too I've recommended many changes to Dukascopy for improving things here to the extent I can understand and contribute (e.g. RSS feed for trader's blog, screen sharing in whiteboard instead of webcam, group chat facility with favorite traders, rich text facility for article submissions for better design, to name a few).

Guest wrote:
The trader contest rules have been undergoing changes since 2nd month and we need to oblige their rules. more over it's not sudden.
Well regarding trader's contest, when sudden changes in calculations were applied at end of July, Dukascopy had to recall those changes within hours. Here is the link for your kind reference. So changes after contest has started and reached its end are not fair and Dukascopy agrees that. When they have recalled changes made in between of trader's contest, why not for Article contest. Such change on running contest are not fair and need a recall.

Changes for next months are welcomed. I'm excited about the changes. If you see my posts to fellow trader's blogs, I'm saying them why not they join contest and start posting article about their trading strategies.

Guest wrote:
this change of rule motivates a lot of traders or writers to participate in bigger no from next month same way we witnessed in trader contest. initially there were few contestants below 500 but now it's more than 1000. unless dukascopy break the ice, traders/writers won't come out. it's really a good amendment in my opinion.
More traders would be submitting articles due to increased level of awareness about this contest in future. However dukascopy should not make a joke of very first month of contest by reducing prize money to mere 28%.

Post subject: Re: Registration for September contest Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Wed 31 Aug, 2011, 10:04 

ritesh wrote:
Guest wrote:

My calculation is same as you did above, that there are 28 participants who submitted article this month, so 28% of prize money. Correct me if wrong.

Guest wrote:
Change is the rule of world and things can't stay static.
I've also wholeheartedly welcomed all changes, you've missed reading my post before commenting? In past too I've recommended many changes to Dukascopy for improving things here to the extent I can understand and contribute (e.g. RSS feed for trader's blog, screen sharing in whiteboard instead of webcam, group chat facility with favorite traders, rich text facility for article submissions for better design, to name a few).

Guest wrote:
The trader contest rules have been undergoing changes since 2nd month and we need to oblige their rules. more over it's not sudden.
Well regarding trader's contest, when sudden changes in calculations were applied at end of July, Dukascopy had to recall those changes within hours. Here is the link for your kind reference. So changes after contest has started and reached its end are not fair and Dukascopy agrees that. When they have recalled changes made in between of trader's contest, why not for Article contest. Such change on running contest are not fair and need a recall.

Changes for next months are welcomed. I'm excited about the changes. If you see my posts to fellow trader's blogs, I'm saying them why not they join contest and start posting article about their trading strategies.

Guest wrote:
this change of rule motivates a lot of traders or writers to participate in bigger no from next month same way we witnessed in trader contest. initially there were few contestants below 500 but now it's more than 1000. unless dukascopy break the ice, traders/writers won't come out. it's really a good amendment in my opinion.
More traders would be submitting articles due to increased level of awareness about this contest in future. However dukascopy should not make a joke of very first month of contest by reducing prize money to mere 28%.

This is true, but the first contest period would not have ended in August, this is the problem. With the previous version of rules, you would have to wait for an uncertain period of time until there were 100 active participants. You can only guess when this would have happened, as the further it gets, the harder it is to compete with the ones at the top. So choose what is better - get 28% of the prize fund now or wait for a month (or 2... or 3. This comes from basics of game theory so we had to change the setup).

Post subject: Re: Registration for September contest Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Wed 31 Aug, 2011, 10:13 

I totally agree with Ritesh. It's not fair to change the rules when just 2 days left till the end of contest. I had a plan. And the plan was broken after rules has changed. Also Ritesh uploaded 5th article and now he will not get any benefit from it. So it means he spent time for nothing. On the other hand I think that these new rules are very good and welcome. And it will not have big impact on total winnings in money. As next month we will have opportunity to work same hard. I think it's better to get 28% of winnings then wait for three more months for a full prize. In the end I am happy with these new rules.
I really appreciate Dukascopy work, ideas and community initiatives. No other broker does even similar. This is amazing. But sometimes I see lack of solidity, which should be observed in a broker, who controls a lot of other people's money.

Post subject: Re: Registration for September contest Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Wed 31 Aug, 2011, 10:23 

Contest Support wrote:
This is true, but the first contest period would not have ended in August, this is the problem. With the previous version of rules, you would have to wait for an uncertain period of time until there were 100 active participants. You can only guess when this would have happened, as the further it gets, the harder it is to compete with the ones at the top. So choose what is better - get 28% of the prize fund now or wait for a month (or 2... or 3. This comes from basics of game theory so we had to change the setup).

Dukascopy is correct with the changes for future months, keep it up for that. Change in rules for future months are wholeheartedly welcomed and praiseworthy.

However don't reduce the present month prize money, which shows disrespect for first month participant's efforts who took time for new initiatives, while rest are yet to follow. No one expected huge participation on very first month, still we're better off with 59 articles (that's two articles each day).

Post subject: Re: Registration for September contest Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Wed 31 Aug, 2011, 16:33 

User rating: 3
Hello Contestants and Support,

I agree with all you have said, only want remember something to Dukascopy Support, in the paste, when Strategy Contest started i saw you pay all the prize to the participants, and they were a few ones, in the first mounth, if they made more "1 cent" than the inicial balance of the account countest you payed the total prize, so why you change this now... if you start change the rules like now, this contest will over like the last VIDEO CONTEST..

Let the prizes for this mounth for the contestants that have the first iniciative, and change next mounth... think is more fair...

Thanks,

LinnuxFX

Post subject: Re: Registration for September contest Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Wed 31 Aug, 2011, 17:00 

Hello everybody

My personal opinion is that if 15 000 usd doesnt make 100 hundred active participants , one third of price ( or propably even less) will not be enough for people to write and promote next month at all .

All the people were holding back - afraid of rules of 100 participants, contest extention and prize cut. If they see that this worries were real they will never compete.

This competition is far better idea and has much more potential than a video contest.

Please consider this : Practically everybody can write, compete and promote !!! but they have to have trust for prize and that they can be absolutely sure about prize.

Wish You all the best

Marian

Post subject: Re: Registration for September contest Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Wed 31 Aug, 2011, 17:16 

LinnuxFX wrote:

I agree with all you have said, only want remember something to Dukascopy Support, in the paste, when Strategy Contest started i saw you pay all the prize to the participants, and they were a few ones, in the first mounth, if they made more "1 cent" than the inicial balance of the account countest you payed the total prize, so why you change this now... if you start change the rules like now, this contest will over like the last VIDEO CONTEST..

Let the prizes for this mounth for the contestants that have the first iniciative, and change next mounth... think is more fair...

Thanks,

LinnuxFX

Hot discution here, yes i remember in the first mounths of Strategy Contest the participants are so few that in top10 only appear 4 or 5 but the prize was not reduced, if Dukas did not remove this information from forum you will be able to see what i am saying... i think if they reduce the prize now will discourage the contestants... :(

forexinvestimentos

Post subject: Re: Registration for September contest Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Wed 31 Aug, 2011, 22:33 

User rating: 4
Considering the article contest is only a facebook contest right now i will remove the prize all together so that people passionate with Forex post their articles and that we can a real exchange of thought instead of having people starting the whole circle commenting all other again.

Post subject: Re: Registration for September contest Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Thu 01 Sep, 2011, 10:25 

I think the changes in the article contest rules are in right direction and we all have to congratulate the Ducascopy Team for them. The initial idea was not for a long term writing competition, where the first writed articles and authors will have advantage, but for short term contest that will produce winners every month. In such case the total pricess, give out by Ducaspopy will be the same, but for more people with interesting ideas. I have some notes about uploading of the text, images and formating. I think it will be easier if we could upload directly pdf and doc files/ or if we have much more robust text redactor with capacity to format properly our writings.

Post subject: Re: Registration for September contest Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Thu 01 Sep, 2011, 12:44 

LinnuxFX wrote:

Thanks,

LinnuxFX

The contest would have ended like the Video Contest

The claims of the majority of participants are totally clear - you want the full prize that was to be issued if we had 100 active participants. Moreover, this is by the rules that every contestant has accepted; this, however, might seem unfair to some contestants. https://www.dukascopy.com/fxcomm/fx-article-contest/?action=rules#other

Still we believe that the recent rules amendments were for better - we want this contest to be happening, grow bigger and stronger. It is very encouraging that you like the proportionate system.

As for the other comments - let's think constructive. The contest and the whole Forex community has been named an experiment from the very beginning. This is why we keep the rights to change the rules and format at any time if they prove to be inefficient. At the end of month we felt that this particular contest might have ended up like Video contest, which neither we our you, dear Contestants, would want. (You'd get the same 30% but in three months and the contest would be closed. This is not what we want.) We also believe that Dukascopy has proved their fair attitude towards the clients and participants. Appealing to us with remarks like "not solid" or "reputable bank should not do that" is a bit frustrating. We are trying to create a system of contests that is unique. Of course there are some obstacles on the road to achieving our goals.

Again, please, do not react to those changes as to personal offense. This time we will stick to our decision.

Post subject: Re: Registration for September contest Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Thu 01 Sep, 2011, 13:04 

adask wrote:
I totally agree with Ritesh. It's not fair to change the rules when just 2 days left till the end of contest. I had a plan. And the plan was broken after rules has changed. Also Ritesh uploaded 5th article and now he will not get any benefit from it. So it means he spent time for nothing. On the other hand I think that these new rules are very good and welcome. And it will not have big impact on total winnings in money. As next month we will have opportunity to work same hard. I think it's better to get 28% of winnings then wait for three more months for a full prize. In the end I am happy with these new rules.
I really appreciate Dukascopy work, ideas and community initiatives. No other broker does even similar. This is amazing. But sometimes I see lack of solidity, which should be observed in a broker, who controls a lot of other people's money.

Ritesh's article was automatically transfered to the current contest period (September) and he totally did not spend time for nothing. He has done very well both in Trader and Article contest.

As for all the rest - you are absolutely right. If you remember the game theory, you will see that now it is the win-win situation - both we and other contestants want more people to join and write.

Post subject: Re: Registration for September contest Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Fri 02 Sep, 2011, 19:18 

I think that decision of Dukascopy is right, because it will attract more contestants, who would wait for another contest month.

Post subject: Re: Registration for September contest Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Sat 03 Sep, 2011, 18:56 

marian wrote:
Hello everybody

All the people were holding back - afraid of rules of 100 participants, contest extention and prize cut. If they see that this worries were real they will never compete.
This competition is far better idea and has much more potential than a video contest.
Please consider this : Practically everybody can write, compete and promote !!! but they have to have trust for prize and that they can be absolutely sure about prize.

Wish You all the best
Marian

I second that Marian. Since I missed video contest, was excited to participate by sharing my complete trading system in recipe format for Dukascopy. Article series was well appreciated, however I never thought that prize cut would happen in last days, because we knew that participant count exceeded 150. Since the term "active participation" is new and was defined only in last two days of August, it resulted in problem of contest extension. Now it was resolved by another addition: prize cut.

I'm waiting for August's final result to be out, wish Dukascopy keeps prize fair as always.

Hope more participants share their valuable experiences or trading systems here. For encouragement, new rules are praiseworthy, maybe they get better by adding points for combo participation (if one actively participates in all three contests, he'd get 3 additional points to the contest of their choice). Any more ideas?

Jump to:  

© 1998-2024 Dukascopy® Bank SA
On-line Currency forex trading with Swiss Forex Broker - ECN Forex Brokerage,
Managed Forex Accounts, introducing forex brokers, Currency Forex Data Feed and News
Currency Forex Trading Platform provided on-line by Dukascopy.com