Dukascopy

Wiki JStore Search Login

JFOREX-1427 problems with the newest jForex
 Post subject: JFOREX-1427 problems with the newest jForex Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Wed 13 Jan, 2010, 19:26 

User rating: 0
To whom it may concern,

with the newest update to jForex (which I downloaded yesterday) there has also been a critical bug. The strategy editor in jForex does not seem to work with opening or saving files correctly. I can't seem to save changes to files I've made. When it does save changes, it saves to the wrong file. And finally sometimes I can't open strategies.

When I open a strategy, edit it and then save it, instead of just saving the changes to the current file, it asks me what to "save file as". Then when I have saved it as a different file name instead of having the contents of the file I had originally opened, it has the default strategy layout (or which ever file was previously open). This seems to be a bug introduced in the newest version.

Sometimes the save button does not work at all. I click save and nothing is saved to the current file.

As mentioned above, I also have problems with open strategies now...I go to the bottom left of the jForex screen right click on strategies and then right click to open files. The "Open" button fails to open the file.

Hope this is fixed soon,

Regards,
jForexUser

Post subject: Re: JFOREX-1427 problems with the newest jForex Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Thu 14 Jan, 2010, 09:36 

User rating:
Hi,
could you please post exception stack trace.

Post subject: Re: JFOREX-1427 problems with the newest jForex Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Thu 14 Jan, 2010, 11:07 

hi support,
there is no exception stack trace to post since jForex thinks it is saving to the correct file, but is saving to the previously opened file or not... I never know until I open the file outside of jForex. When I can't open files, no error occurs, but the program just won't open strategies.

This bug has to do with the GUI of jForex not how it is running my strategies. I've tested it on a linux and windows machine and after playing around with both of them, I can say this needs to be fixed so I know with certainty which file and what saved changes I am compiling!

thanks,
jForexUser

Post subject: Re: JFOREX-1427 problems with the newest jForex Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Thu 14 Jan, 2010, 11:15 

User rating:
are you working with JForex or MT4 strategies?

Post subject: Re: JFOREX-1427 problems with the newest jForex Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Thu 14 Jan, 2010, 15:35 

native jForex code using your API found here: https://www.dukascopy.com/swiss/docs/api/
coding done in java.

Post subject: Re: JFOREX-1427 problems with the newest jForex Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Fri 15 Jan, 2010, 21:10 

After downloading the newest jForex today from https://www.dukascopy.com/client/demo/j ... forex.jnlp (jForex 2.1.7 API 2.5)
and logging in with my permanent test account; bug still exists.

Post subject: Re: JFOREX-1427 problems with the newest jForex Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Mon 18 Jan, 2010, 09:55 

User rating:
Hi,
try to change your Strategies path, Indicators path, Workspace path and Local cache path to the directory path that points to the location on your computer. For example C:/MyData/JForex/Startegies
It could be done, from Tools->Preferences->Advanced window.

Post subject: Re: JFOREX-1427 problems with the newest jForex Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Mon 18 Jan, 2010, 16:47 

I initially tried this and it wasn't working. I had tried this because I do use a custom dir. Even if this did fix the problem it would only be a work around...so let's fix this bug once and for all.

in any case, I have been able to consistently recreate the problem now.

Delete your my documents jforex data found @ C:\Documents and Settings\<your username>\My Documents\JForex\

then delete the temp files found @ C:\Documents and Settings\<your username>\Local Settings\Temp

this allows me to say that it isn't my settings that are the reason for this problem.

after this is complete login to jforex.jnlp downloaded from https://www.dukascopy.com/client/demo/j ... forex.jnlp

close the standard four currency pair charts. go to the tools menu on the top and select "strategy editor". The strategy editor will pop up with the default template. click the open file button (second from the left) in the strategy editor and select an existing strategy. now you will see the new strategy in the strategy editor.
edit the strategy code/contents in some way. click save and either one of two things will happen....
1) instead of just saving to the file for some strange reason it will ask you what to save the file as. If this happens name the file whatever you would like because what is saved is the default template, which is initially loaded when opening the strategy editor.
2) you will click the save button, thinking that the changes have been saved. The evil part of this is that the changes really haven't been saved and if you open the strategy file outside of jForex you can confirm no changes have been saved to the strategy.

Please change the code in jForex to close and open files correctly! If you can't reproduce this problem, I will gladly make a video displaying this problem in jForex on windows and linux.
thanks.

edit://just tested this on a mac now too and the problem still exists.

Post subject: Re: JFOREX-1427 problems with the newest jForex Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Tue 19 Jan, 2010, 08:18 

User rating:
It will be fixed as soon as possible.

Post subject: Re: JFOREX-1427 problems with the newest jForex Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Thu 21 Jan, 2010, 05:05 

great, thank you very much!
looking forward to the new version

Post subject: Re: JFOREX-1427 problems with the newest jForex Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Thu 21 Jan, 2010, 20:46 

I just downloaded the new version a couple of minutes ago (2.1.9)

I thought the problem was fixed at first, but after opening and closing a couple of files...the problem seems to still exist. If you can't recreate the problem through some stress testing, I will come up with another scenario where it can be recreated when I have some time.

Looking forward to the next version :)

thanks,
jForexUser

Post subject: Re: JFOREX-1427 problems with the newest jForex Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Mon 08 Mar, 2010, 13:20 

hi, sorry that I have to reply to this and bring it back from the dead...but there are still problems with the newest jForex version which has been released.
I have since been able to recreate the bug and here are the steps by which you take to recreate the problem.

1) open jForex then go tools->strategy editor. Open an existing strategy.
2) open another tools->strategy editor screen and then you will see the default "Strategy.java" loaded.
3) go to the first strategy editor and try and compile your existing strategy which you have loaded. Instead of compiling it...it will ask you where to save "Strategy.java"

if this bug could be fixed once and for all that would be great!

Thanks,
jForexUser

the entire open/close of files for the strategy editor still seems to be broken...if you open and close enough files...sooner or later one overwrites the contents of another...
In my opinion as a programmer myself, the entire section on file handling should be rewritten...

Post subject: Re: JFOREX-1427 problems with the newest jForex Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Tue 09 Mar, 2010, 16:53 

User rating:
Thank you for your help. We will investigate this.

Jump to:  

© 1998-2024 Dukascopy® Bank SA
On-line Currency forex trading with Swiss Forex Broker - ECN Forex Brokerage,
Managed Forex Accounts, introducing forex brokers, Currency Forex Data Feed and News
Currency Forex Trading Platform provided on-line by Dukascopy.com