Dukascopy

Wiki JStore Search Login

Request a wider Depth of Market enhanced mode
 Post subject: Request a wider Depth of Market enhanced mode Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Mon 24 Sep, 2012, 20:10 

User rating: 98
I'd like to respectfully request an enhancement to the API which would provide access to a wider Depth of Market capability "enhanced feed mode". Because it would be a special extended request, existing code would not be affected by the "enhanced feed mode", and JForex client would not be affected.

Only Strategy modules or Standalone API code requesting the "enhanced feed mode" would need to be concerned about additional information. No existing code would break, and JForex would also be unaffected.

I have worked with the existing DOM for quite a while now, and I have thought carefully about this request.

First of all, I am aware that too much Depth of Market information affects servers and bandwidth of a system. Most users don't care about Depth of Market anyway, and the standard system provides at most 10 levels either side of the market. Only a few Strategy modules would be requesting this enhanced information.

What I am proposing is that there be an "enhanced feed mode" developed, which would make it possible for Strategy module, or Standalone code to request a wider Depth of Market. Not unlimited, but "reasonable" increase in the number of tiers which are available in this "enhanced" mode.

Instead of receiving at most 10 levels as we have now with ITick.getBids()... and so on; the "enhanced feed mode" would be able to receive more information. For a particular symbol feed descriptor, there would be some means of requested this "extended Depth of Market" information. Your API team can best determine how this would be designed.

I REALIZE SUCH A REQUEST MIGHT BE DIFFICULT TO IMPLEMENT, BUT HAVING A WIDER DOM would allow a Strategy module more data to use for DOM based analytics.

MY REASON for making this request is that, if we take EURUSD as an example, it's spread is perhaps 0.6 to 1.0 pips wide. If it moves only ONE pip, then the entire DOM is really invalidated. If it were possible to see the quoted DOM perhaps 3 pips further away from the inside market, then it would be significantly more useful to Strategy code which uses that information for Quote Flow analysis.

Would you please consider this in your team, as a medium term enhancement request? If it were possible to obtain perhaps as much as 30 levels, instead of 10 levels, then my analytics could be signficantly better.

Thanks for considering this enhancement request !

Post subject: Re: Request a wider Depth of Market enhanced mode Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Tue 13 Nov, 2012, 20:20 

The Depth of Market which is currently available in EURUSD is only 1 PIP wide (during normal market conditions). What I am requesting is just an Extended Mode which would make available perhaps 2 PIPs in Market Depth, and only for API clients which explicitly request it and could process the data.

This would add only a slight extra load to the servers, since only Strategies which could use this information would request it.

Because the Bid/Ask spread EURUSD can be in the region of 1 PIP, providing only 1 PIP in Market Depth is too narrow for any meaningful predictive analysis. Having a meaningful distance from the "inside market" is the purpose of providing Market Depth information.

Please consider an Extended Mode whereby a reasonable number of additional Market Depth tiers could be requested by an API client. This would not affect any other clients or users.

Thanks for considering this request !

Post subject: Re: Request a wider Depth of Market enhanced mode Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Sun 26 May, 2013, 02:56 

User rating: 1
Yeah what he said ^
Any news on this?

Agreeing the current market depth is a bit limited on usefulness due to a relatively small amount of depth its displaying, and if extra depth were only available to jforex where requested by the strategy it would be a very small server load increase.

Post subject: Re: Request a wider Depth of Market enhanced mode Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Sun 26 May, 2013, 14:36 

Again, my proposal would not affect JForex platform at all. Only API users which specifically request the extended DOM would receive it. Default behavior would remain exactly as it is now.

If, instead of 10 price levels, we could get only a modest 15 or 20 that would be a huge improvement for my analytics.

This would be insignificant as an increase in network traffic since only a few API users would request it. In my case, this is the Most Important information I can get, and I do the very best I can with the currently available 10 levels maximum of Market Depth.

Those of us writing advanced clients using the API would be very appreciative of this "extended" market depth possibility.

HyperScalper

Post subject: Re: Request a wider Depth of Market enhanced mode Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Sat 01 Jun, 2013, 14:57 

User rating: 0
Dukascopy provides great data so a deeper DOM,
especially if you scalp should be a must..

Anny plans about it ?

Post subject: Re: Request a wider Depth of Market enhanced mode Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Sat 01 Jun, 2013, 17:51 

If this could be registered under Feature Requests, there may be some hope that some day it may be implemented. As developers we feel we have very little influence on the decision making process, but please register it as a Feature Request for the JForex API. My specific request does not relate to the JForex platform, only to API users. Under my proposal, the default behavior would remain. Only those API users who specifically request an Extended DOM would be able to receive it.

HyperScalper

Post subject: Re: Request a wider Depth of Market enhanced mode Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Fri 09 Aug, 2013, 20:56 

User rating: 0
If You would like to have wider DOM, trade CME currency futures. If You work with Duka's DOM You have no idea what is spot market is at all and how orders are matching on the spot and on the futures. Frankly, it's really funny to find such a topic started by experienced at first glance trader. RTFM ;)

Jump to:  

© 1998-2024 Dukascopy® Bank SA
On-line Currency forex trading with Swiss Forex Broker - ECN Forex Brokerage,
Managed Forex Accounts, introducing forex brokers, Currency Forex Data Feed and News
Currency Forex Trading Platform provided on-line by Dukascopy.com