Dukascopy

Wiki JStore Search Login

Constant Range Bars - Unnecessary Gaps
 Post subject: Constant Range Bars - Unnecessary Gaps Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Thu 15 Mar, 2012, 18:32 

User rating: 0
This is a thread for CRB or Range Bars. Before I start I want to add that this has been a topic of discussion on other forums with other platforms but they offer a solution to allow the end user/trader to adjust the gap size down to an absolute minimal size so they are always consistent. The only thing that should determine the plotting of Range Bars is the size of the Range Bar and price itself, not time.

I am concerned and frustrated by the JFOREX printing of Range Bars. I find it annoying that they do not display as Range Bars are intended to, instead we see huge gaps of almost as large as the Range Bar itself! JFOREX platform is not the only one to show this but it is probably one of the worst examples. I am aware of who the chief designer and programmer is for JFOREX platform, at least from what I've read online. And this makes me expect more from the company. I think we all know how important it is to have a designer as a person that decides how UI is for any software should be for ease of navigation, so why not primarily have a trader decide for trading platform, it makes sense.

I admit often gaps are not as large on every candle but when they are it makes using them inconsistent, why have different size gaps for each new candle when CRBs were meant to be free from time based charts, so why carry anything over from that. Either I am being very dumb and missing something or JFOREX Range Bar Charts are....

The official definition on how CRBs should print/plot on a chart - taken from investopedia:
Three rules of range bars:

Each range bar must have a high/low range that equals the specified range.
Each range bar must open outside the high/low range of the previous bar.
Each range bar must close at either its high or its low.

Read more: https://www.investopedia.com/articles/tr ... z1pCsq46aR

This makes sense, but why have a gap of 5 or more pips for an 8 pip range bar chart?

Another company that allows us to use Dukascopy feed in their platform allows the end user to adjust when a new bar is plotted. So it can be as low as a 1/10 pip from the close of the range bar, it just makes no sense to me at all why the gaps are so huge between each range bar candle.

Make the next update of JFOREX so we can at least decide when the new range bar should be plotted! If you put on Range Bar size of 20pips or more it becomes even wider gap! it makes trading Range Bars undesireable and impractical.

I really like JFOREX now and the more I use it the more I am considering making it my primary trading platform. But this needs to be addressed in the next update as a priority.

Question:

Is it possible to use JFOREX API to make our own charts? So we could effectively achieve what I want from Range Bar Charts?

Attachments:
Constant Range Bar Gap.png [24.39 KiB]
Downloaded 349 times
DISCLAIMER: Dukascopy Bank SA's waiver of responsability - Documents, data or information available on this webpage may be posted by third parties without Dukascopy Bank SA being obliged to make any control on their content. Anyone accessing this webpage and downloading or otherwise making use of any document, data or information found on this webpage shall do it on his/her own risks without any recourse against Dukascopy Bank SA in relation thereto or for any consequences arising to him/her or any third party from the use and/or reliance on any document, data or information found on this webpage.

Jump to:  

© 1998-2024 Dukascopy® Bank SA
On-line Currency forex trading with Swiss Forex Broker - ECN Forex Brokerage,
Managed Forex Accounts, introducing forex brokers, Currency Forex Data Feed and News
Currency Forex Trading Platform provided on-line by Dukascopy.com