Dukascopy

Wiki JStore Search Login

Attention! Read the forum rules carefully before posting a topic.

Try to find an answer in Wiki before asking a question.
    Submit programming questions in this forum only.
    Off topics are strictly forbidden.

Any topics which do not satisfy these rules will be deleted.

Question about decimal places?
 Post subject: Question about decimal places? Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Mon 09 Feb, 2009, 07:40 

User rating: 0
Hi Dukas IT techs!

I have a question about the way prices are displayed in JForex. I see that the prices are shown in 5 decimal places (except for JPY pairs), however the 5th decimal place only changes by 5. Is this because importance is given only upto the 4th decimal place?

Let me rephrase it this way: Let's say the bid in EUR/GBP changes from 0.87540 to 0.87575. Is that considered to be +35 pips or +3.5 pips? Coz I've noticed in MT4 brokers that use 5 decimal places, this would've been considered as 35 pips, which gives a lot of opportunities for scalping. Now, I know that Dukascopy is not against scalping, but the way the prices are interpreted in JForex seems to make a whole world of difference.

Please reply as soon as you can. Thanx in advance!

Post subject: Re: Question about decimal places? Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Mon 09 Feb, 2009, 10:35 

User rating:
The definition of a pip is the one used as a standard in the industry, 1/10000 on all instruments except for JPY crosses where it is 1/100

Therefore, and relative to your example, a change in EUR/GBP from 0.8754 to 0.87575 does reflect a 3.5 pips up move.
[0.87575-0.8754]*10000 = 3.5

Should you need any clarification further, please feel free to reply to this post.

Jump to:  

© 1998-2024 Dukascopy® Bank SA
On-line Currency forex trading with Swiss Forex Broker - ECN Forex Brokerage,
Managed Forex Accounts, introducing forex brokers, Currency Forex Data Feed and News
Currency Forex Trading Platform provided on-line by Dukascopy.com