Dukascopy

Wiki JStore Search Login

General Discussion and Comments
 Post subject: April's Contest Comments Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Wed 07 Apr, 2010, 22:59 

User rating: 0
In the April contest, looking at this evening's figures... 3 people are winning heavily, 3 are doing fairly well, the huge majority have not opened a trade... 5 are losing moderately and 3 losing heavily...

Doesn't that sound like a normal distribution? Chance alone, or a profitable strategy?

Surely a one month competition encourages excessive risk taking that would see an account dwindle in a very short period following a bad run (see the 75k loss in one week!)?

Post subject: Re: A random walk... Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Thu 08 Apr, 2010, 16:52 

I fully agree: the prize money is not even close to the point where a coder will submit a really good, profitable strategy that he's been working on for months. Full disclosure and transference of ownership of the strategy is required, so it all adds up to one thing: enter a bunch of simple, really aggressive strategies in the hope one wins by sheer luck!

Post subject: Re: A random walk... Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Wed 14 Apr, 2010, 10:11 

User rating: -
...i agree.
Anyway I wonder if the source codes of the winning strategies will be released on this forum...they could be useful for study.
^_^

Post subject: to participate or not to participate... Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Thu 15 Apr, 2010, 15:57 

Hi everyone! I am planning to take part in the next contest! I’ll use one of my strategies and, most probably, I’ll be ready to disclose the code of the strategy. First-off, I was always modifying and improving the script of my strategy and I will be modifying the code after the contest and whenever I will find any good trading ideas. Secondly, I am doing a lot of optimization to find the best input parameters. Usually, I change the parameters every month. Finally, I can potentially get some feedbacks on the code or any new trading ideas from other developers.
However, I will make up my mind whether to disclose or not later… Of course, depending on my position in the rating as I can always take a 50% of prize without disclosing the code.

Post subject: QUESTION TO DUKASCOPY Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Tue 20 Apr, 2010, 10:54 

I am going to take part in the next contest.
Is it allowed by the contest rules to use Configurable parameters and to restart a strategy with different parameters during the contest? For example,

@Configurable("Lot")     public double Lot = 1.0;
engine.submitOrder(..., IEngine.OrderCommand.BUY, Lot, ...);

Suppose, at first a trader run his strategy with the default value: Lot=1.0
Can he restart later the strategy with a new value, for example Lot=5.0 ?
Or it will be deemed as manual intervention and result in disqualification?

Post subject: Re: question to Dukascopy Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Wed 21 Apr, 2010, 10:49 

User rating: 8
Yes, you can use configurable parameters and restart the strategy as many times as you need.

Post subject: re: contest Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Wed 21 Apr, 2010, 21:30 

Martingale approach can be a very effective strategy for this contest. If you loose, you can just increase the trade amount and recover the previous loss. If you loose again, bet with a higher stake again. So on, so forth...

Post subject: Re: General Discussion and Comments Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Thu 22 Apr, 2010, 10:16 

can i take part in april contest

Post subject: Re: General Discussion and Comments Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Thu 22 Apr, 2010, 10:42 

Yes, you can.

Post subject: Prize Withdrawals Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Thu 22 Apr, 2010, 21:23 

Reading through the Prize Terms and conditions, it says that the prizes cannot be withdrawn from a live account unless a minimum turnover is met for the live account. e.g. to withdraw Bronze prize of 500 USD then I need a turnover in my Live account of 1 Million USD? Is this right? So I need to have a *huge* live account trading anyhow, to actually withdraw a measly 500 USD ?

Post subject: Re: General Discussion and Comments Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Fri 23 Apr, 2010, 02:13 

Are we allowed to use @Configurable for the following?

1) setting stop loss price
2) setting take profit price
3) set long only, short only, or both sides in a strategy?

Post subject: Re: General Discussion and Comments Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Fri 23 Apr, 2010, 07:17 

Yes, you are.

Post subject: Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Fri 23 Apr, 2010, 14:48 

If you won 500 USD, you need to make only one trade with 1 million, for example, on USD/CHF. You will loose only spread cost which is about 1-1.5 pips. But as you can't make 1 million trade on 500 deposit, you have to do many small trades. And if you're a good trader, you can even get some extra profit and withdraw funds when the turnover condition is met.

Post subject: System Trades Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Fri 23 Apr, 2010, 14:55 

Is it allowed, during this contest, to manually edit or close orders that are generated by the system, e.g. an order that is bought on my behalf by Ducascopy to reduce market exposure or weekend margin requirements?
These oders were not bought by my strategy and they don't have any ID-tag on them, and are lacking stop and profit levels.

Post subject: Re: General Discussion and Comments Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Fri 23 Apr, 2010, 15:09 

We are planning to add a new paragraph in the rules that allows you to make exceptional manual trades. However, the percentage of manual trades should not be more than 10% from the total turnover. In the first contest, most of participants were occasionally using manual trades to close positions and we have decided not to disqualify them. At the time being, we would like to keep the rules a little bit relaxed.

Post subject: Re: General Discussion and Comments Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Fri 23 Apr, 2010, 15:21 

That's good to know. I had the same problem with Sjaak in which my system didn't account for the hedging by Dukascopy just before the weekend. So I needed to close that unexpected position manually. Otherwise it would be left open until the end of the month as my strategy didn't account for that.

On another note, can we use @Configurable, or even manually, to "Close on Exit" out of the strategy? For example, I'd like to close out everything before the weekend. Which is a common thing to do.

Post subject: Re: Sjaak Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Fri 23 Apr, 2010, 16:53 

Yes, it would be very smart to use a configurable parameter with a function which closes all positions onStop().

As an example:

public void onStop() throws JFException {
if (isClosingOnStopEnabled){
for (IOrder order : engine.getOrders()) {
order.close();
}
}
console.getOut().println("Stopped");
}

Post subject: registration rules? Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Tue 27 Apr, 2010, 18:11 

The total amount of executed trades during the Contest must be lower than 10.

LOWER then 10 ???

Post subject: Re: General Discussion and Comments Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Wed 28 Apr, 2010, 11:37 

According to the trading rules, the trades amount on the contest account must be at least 10!

Post subject: Re: General Discussion and Comments Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Wed 28 Apr, 2010, 12:30 

Contest Support wrote:
According to the trading rules, the trades amount on the contest account must be at least 10!

Yes, I know noone is reading Terms and Conditions but in Registration form for May it currently is:
https://demo-login.dukascopy.com/fo/register/strategyContest/ wrote:
Trading Rules:

Contest accounts are registered with an initial deposit of USD 100 000.
Terms and conditions commonly applicable to trading via Dukascopy at the time of the Contest shall also apply to trading within the framework of the Contest (for information purposes only, as of March 1st 2010 these include: 32 currency pairs available for trading, account leverage 1:100, minimal size of one trade USD 1000, margin call level of exposure 200%).
Strategy must be compiled and used in the JForex platform only. Running the Strategy in any custom platforms or IDE is prohibited.
Trades must be conducted by the Strategy software only. No intervening is allowed. Any operations on the Contest account conducted manually may result in disqualification of Participant. Dukascopy reserves the right to require Participant's explanation of any manual intervention with Strategy's operation, and accept or reject such an explanation at its sole discretion.
To run the Strategy, Participant must use his/her own computer during the Contest period.
The total amount of executed trades during the Contest must be lower than 10.

On the main page it is at least 10 as you have cited.

So I am a little bit confused.

=)

Kind regards, Yaroslav.

Jump to:  

© 1998-2024 Dukascopy® Bank SA
On-line Currency forex trading with Swiss Forex Broker - ECN Forex Brokerage,
Managed Forex Accounts, introducing forex brokers, Currency Forex Data Feed and News
Currency Forex Trading Platform provided on-line by Dukascopy.com