Dukascopy

Wiki JStore Search Login

General Discussion and Comments
 Post subject: how long will the contest run ? Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Mon 06 Sep, 2010, 17:42 

User rating: 0
I see a new subforum "october" so we can hope the contest will run in october as well :-)

how long is dukascopy going to hold the monthly contest ?

traders are worried october is the last opportunity to win the monthly JForex prize... ;-)

Post subject: Re: More challenging competition Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Mon 06 Sep, 2010, 17:50 

sounds like a great idea ! an endurance contest.

Frank wrote:
"How would you turn the contest into a more challenging competition? Tell us in the JForex Community Forum, or here in the comments."

Hi,
contest rules incentive to use aggressive gambling strategy (that win a month and loose much or all the next month).
Wouldn't be better to have strategy that give good result for more time (more than 1 month)?
I suggest offering only 3 prizes for each month and giving
3 prizes for best balances for first 2 months
3 prizes for best balances for first 3 months
... until
3 prizes for best balances for 12 months

Best regards,
Frank

Post subject: Re: how long will the contest run ? Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Tue 07 Sep, 2010, 09:29 

User rating: 8
We have created a thread for October, so that anyone could post comments about the upcoming contest. For the moment, we don't have plans to abandon the contest. We would like to see more well-structured and efficient strategies in the contest.
But if the gambling approach will continue to prevail - it will be a reasonable basis to become thoughtful! We'd really like to have more participants, more winners, more disclosed strategies on the forum. So, this depends on you! Keep participating in the contest, sending feedbacks and comments.

Post subject: same participant ? Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Tue 07 Sep, 2010, 12:44 

SMARTK282002, IN

SMARTK28, IN

related participant or the same ? same country and almost same name. seems... strange to say the least.

Post subject: Re: how long will the contest run ? Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Tue 07 Sep, 2010, 12:50 

as long as there is no real money risked, there will be a somewhat gambling approach. Contestant will always adapt to the rules and maximize their strategy according to the rules, i.e. probably go around them.

I think it's better to accept that than making more and more rules that will eventually just distort completely the trading and have no relationship to real trading at all. After all, most part of the "gambling" approach is that all strategies take too much risk, compared to if they were on a real account, so if we scale back risk (like the new 50% rule enforces) it's going to be pretty realistic trading already.

Post subject: Re: same participant ? Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Tue 07 Sep, 2010, 13:23 

Yes, we have already noticed that! As usual, we will make all required investigation at the end of month.
We will request the participant to send both strategies to us and give explanation to this doubled registration.

Thanks for the feedback!

Post subject: Re: how long will the contest run ? Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Tue 07 Sep, 2010, 13:39 

We think we will keep looking at results and see what kind of strategies are able to win in the contest by simply analysing the sources codes. It will tell us how effective the contest rules are. Finally, the strategies have to be running during the whole month but not just 10 days (Hope we will achieve it with the "new remote run" mode of the platform, this functionality is currently in a beta testing). After all, if we will look at August, you will find some good coding examples like the strategies created by Quantisan, olto and Sacrelege. We think we are moving in the right direction.

Post subject: Re: how long will the contest run ? Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Tue 07 Sep, 2010, 19:21 

The rules are more or less getting stable. However, there will be always be a "take chance" type of attitude among the participants unless the code revealing rule is removed. So to my opinion, you could have rules like
1. All the rules that is existing now
2. No code revealing
3. No manual intervention
4. Minimum 20 days of uninterrupted trading

I agree that Olto is revealing his comparible trading strategies, but he has not revealed his one of the best automated strategy and I believe he will never do that. He was the winner of Metaquotes 2007 Trading competition and he has a poweful system based on Neural Network. I think he will never use that to trade in this competition unless you implement point 2 mentioned above.

If such rules are implemented, you will find that there are traders who will consistently win and they are real traders with some real strategies.

Post subject: Re: how long will the contest run ? Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Tue 07 Sep, 2010, 22:21 

arnab wrote:
The rules are more or less getting stable. However, there will be always be a "take chance" type of attitude among the participants unless the code revealing rule is removed. So to my opinion, you could have rules like
1. All the rules that is existing now
2. No code revealing
3. No manual intervention
4. Minimum 20 days of uninterrupted trading

I agree that Olto is revealing his comparible trading strategies, but he has not revealed his one of the best automated strategy and I believe he will never do that. He was the winner of Metaquotes 2007 Trading competition and he has a poweful system based on Neural Network. I think he will never use that to trade in this competition unless you implement point 2 mentioned above.

If such rules are implemented, you will find that there are traders who will consistently win and they are real traders with some real strategies.

IMHO, one of the main goals of this contest is to develop AND share real automated strategies to promote this kind of trading. Besides, you can always choose to not disclose your code and get half the prize, but what would be the point? Revealing a good strategy is not going to ruin it :)

Post subject: Some questions Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Wed 08 Sep, 2010, 08:20 

Hi,

1. When I click RSS I can see the strategy's current open position only. How can I see the full list of the trades the stategy has done since the start of the contest month ? For example, I want see if the strategy opens the trades with SL and TP set and also see if the risk:reward ratio is an acceptable one.
2. After the contest month is closed, you only show in the list the winners as I noted. How can I see the other ones , even they lost ? If I remember correctly, at the ~ 28 August end, that was a strategy with equity reach ~ 1 200 000 and ~52 trades. It appears it finally lost all the profit in only 3 days until to the end of August ? Or I am missing something ?

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Some questions Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Wed 08 Sep, 2010, 13:28 

darlu72 wrote:
Hi,

1. When I click RSS I can see the strategy's current open position only. How can I see the full list of the trades the stategy has done since the start of the contest month ? For example, I want see if the strategy opens the trades with SL and TP set and also see if the risk:reward ratio is an acceptable one.
2. After the contest month is closed, you only show in the list the winners as I noted. How can I see the other ones , even they lost ? If I remember correctly, at the ~ 28 August end, that was a strategy with equity reach ~ 1 200 000 and ~52 trades. It appears it finally lost all the profit in only 3 days until to the end of August ? Or I am missing something ?

Thank you.

1. RSS shows only opened exposure of the selected participants. However, you can make a porfolio with several traders. To create a portfolio, simply click "+" to add more traders to the basket and set the ratio of the trader in your portfolio. Then use a link "Selected RSS" to retrive online exposure.

2. That's true, we show only the final ranking with qualified participants only. To qualify in the contest you need to avoid manual trading, to have the final balance more than 100K and your strategy has to comply with the Contes Rules. All disqualified participants are not shown in the final table.

Post subject: Simple or Complex strategy? Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Wed 08 Sep, 2010, 13:39 

We will post another topic which we find very interesting! We had 5 different winning strategies in August. The strategy created by arnab contains 2000 lines of code, it's hard to read and understand. On the contrary, the strategy by Sacrelege is about 130 lines and you can easily understand how it works. According to Sacrelege, he created his strategy within the last day of the registration.

My question to everyone would be as follows "Does a good strategy mean a simple strategy with simple rules? Or does it have to be complex in order to be successful?"

Post subject: Re: how long will the contest run ? Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Wed 08 Sep, 2010, 15:13 

Quote:
Revealing a good strategy is not going to ruin it :)

I do not know if you are sure about what you are saying. Most of the indicators do not work just because of that. The counter strategies are being developed because of that.

Post subject: The most successful contest participants of 2010 Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Thu 09 Sep, 2010, 08:42 

Five full months of trading have passed in the contest and we've seen several successful strategies. We are proud that the awareness and knowledge about JForex API is growing and also BIG THANKS to the traders who are actively participating in the contest discussions - they are the reason why are we able to improve and develop this competition.

Dukascopy would like to point out the most successful participants so far -

1) Nacer (total amount won 10 000$; 2 wins)
2) Olto (total amount won 9 500$; 4 wins)
3) Quantisan (total amount won 7 000$; 3 wins)

We sincerely hope that his contest will help other traders to develop their own automated strategies and make forex trading easier.

Good luck!

Post subject: Re: Simple or Complex strategy? Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Thu 09 Sep, 2010, 15:52 

User rating: 1
You do what you have to do. As evident from my strategies, I try to keep things as simple as possible. It's just a good design habit and makes my life easier.

I'd like to hear what others vouching for complex designs have to say.

Post subject: Re: Simple or Complex strategy? Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Fri 10 Sep, 2010, 08:28 

I think simple strategies are better and allow you to easily control the process and upon need - make necessary corrections. Complex strategies have a lot more code inside and a higher chance that you can make a mistake in the script.

Post subject: Re: Simple or Complex strategy? Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Mon 13 Sep, 2010, 11:40 

User rating: -
I don't think the question should be "simple or complex", the question should be "is it possible to create/develop a strategy which is working(in terms of profit) over a longer time period (a few year)?"

regards,
Sacrelege

Post subject: is it OK ? Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Tue 14 Sep, 2010, 09:18 

hello ,
Friday evening
I had a buy position on eur/usd and it was ok

And at the end of the day the leverage fell to 30 percent, which led to open sell position (automatic from the platform)

am i disqualified from the contest ?

can i still ?

Post subject: Re: is it OK ? Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Tue 14 Sep, 2010, 15:11 

You will not be disqualified.

This is our over-the-weekend policy which can not be avoided. Over the weekend the maximum available leverage is 1:30

If the use of leverage exceeds 200% when the weekend policy kicks in, we will cut the exposure to use of leverage = 100%.

Post subject: Re: is it OK ? Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Tue 14 Sep, 2010, 19:12 

Contest Support wrote:
You will not be disqualified.

This is our over-the-weekend policy which can not be avoided. Over the weekend the maximum available leverage is 1:30

If the use of leverage exceeds 200% when the weekend policy kicks in, we will cut the exposure to use of leverage = 100%.

200% conditionaly closes just at the weekend or it is even for usually business day?

thanks

Jump to:  

© 1998-2024 Dukascopy® Bank SA
On-line Currency forex trading with Swiss Forex Broker - ECN Forex Brokerage,
Managed Forex Accounts, introducing forex brokers, Currency Forex Data Feed and News
Currency Forex Trading Platform provided on-line by Dukascopy.com