Dukascopy

Wiki JStore Search Login

Hello Houston - We have a problem
 Post subject: Hello Houston - We have a problem Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Fri 17 Sep, 2010, 10:02 

User rating: 0
Hi Everyone,

Our entry in the September contest has a problem. We seem to have exercised one of the remaining bugs in the MQL4 converter, and under adverse circumstances it trades 3 times too big. If the platform allowed it would try for more!

I've read the small print, and I note that some manual closes are allowed. Can someone with more experience in these matters please explain to me if and how we might be allowed to take advantage of this useful clause.

Thanks,

Jim

Post subject: Re: Hello Houston - We have a problem Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Fri 17 Sep, 2010, 12:17 

A supplementary question.

Since we've read Nassim Taleb and consequently got lucky, are we allowed to simply turn our strategy off and rest on our laurels? We'll soon have over 20 trades under our belt, and none of them are manual as yet!

Thanks,

Jim

Post subject: Re: Hello Houston - We have a problem Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Fri 17 Sep, 2010, 14:38 

User rating: 8
Hi Jim!

Some of positions may be closed manually. However, the ratio of manually closed trades has to be below 10% of the total turnover.

As for turning the strategy off, you can indeed do that! But please make sure your strategy was active for more than 10 days (240 hours).

Post subject: Re: Hello Houston - We have a problem Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Fri 17 Sep, 2010, 17:13 

Hi,

Thanks for that welcome information, but unfortunately it has arrived too late for Ray, our Random Robot. He's now slumped from 2nd to 89th in the table :(

What's the best way of pursuing the underlying cause of his inadvertently volatile behaviour, which appears to be a bug in your MQL4 to Java converter?

Jim

Post subject: Re: Hello Houston - We have a problem Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Sun 19 Sep, 2010, 11:53 

User rating: -
Hi,

The saga continues. You can read all about Ray's latest misfortunes on our forum.

Could someone please get back to me ASAP with details of what we are allowed to do manually in order to assist Ray in extricating himself from his current dire predicament?

If you could do that before Ray's MMI stops saying "This instrument is currently unavailable for online trading" that would be wonderful.

Thanks in anticipation,

Jim

Post subject: Re: Hello Houston - We have a problem Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Mon 20 Sep, 2010, 10:49 

It seems as though relevant links are not allowed on here, so at the risk of repeating myself:

Quote:
During the week Dukascopy's normal leverage is 100 to 1, but over the weekend they reduce that to 30 to 1. If you happen to be leveraged to the hilt, as Ray has been for much of the last 3 days, the platform automatically opens a hedging order at 18:00 GMT to reduce your overall exposure to that level whilst the markets are closed. You can see the effect of that in the screenshot below, but a bit later on some strange things started to happen:

Ray's stop loss on his long position of £7,378,690 was hit at 18:46 GMT. £3,234,180 of that was closed, but then the platform rejected the sell order for the remainder. That means that when the markets open again on Sunday evening (we're in the UK remember) the associated take profit order will still not have been cancelled either.

It looks like next week could be even more eventful than our first partial week in the September 2010 edition of the Dukascopy JForex automated trading championship has been!

Having still received no guidance this is what we've done.

1. Before the markets opened we switched Ray off.

2. After the opening there was a gap up on cable, so we manually closed as much of our long position as the platform would allow

3. We went to bed

4. We awoke next morning

5. We manually closed our remaining open positions and restarted Ray.

Is this OK?

Jim

Post subject: Re: Hello Houston - We have a problem Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Mon 20 Sep, 2010, 15:10 

Usually, manual closes should be used if something goes wrong. So, you can make corrections. However, if all profit will be made on manual trades, we won't accept the strategy.

Post subject: Re: Hello Houston - We have a problem Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Mon 20 Sep, 2010, 16:47 

A couple of things have indeed gone wrong. There appears to be a bug in your MQL4 to Java converter for example.

What would you expect us to do when your platform automatically opens a "hedge" over the weekend, but doesn't close it again afterwards?

If our strategy is expected to deal with that automatically, do you by any chance have any examples somewhere that would help us to code that in MQL4?

Jim

Post subject: Re: Hello Houston - We have a problem Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Tue 21 Sep, 2010, 10:14 

Guest wrote:
A couple of things have indeed gone wrong. There appears to be a bug in your MQL4 to Java converter for example.

What would you expect us to do when your platform automatically opens a "hedge" over the weekend, but doesn't close it again afterwards?

If our strategy is expected to deal with that automatically, do you by any chance have any examples somewhere that would help us to code that in MQL4?

Jim

It is your responsibility to maintain the margin requirements. You have to take into consideration all Dukascopy trading conditions - including over-the-weekend leveraged related possible issues.

We don't have a code example for this, however, you close the margin call trades manually (Yes, they will be counted as 'manual trades').

Post subject: Re: Hello Houston - We have a problem Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Tue 21 Sep, 2010, 16:21 

Hi Contest Support,

Contest Support wrote:
It is your responsibility to maintain the margin requirements. You have to take into consideration all Dukascopy trading conditions - including over-the-weekend leveraged related possible issues.

I realise that. However, since nobody has answered it yet, I'll repeat my question of the 17th inst if I may:

Quote:
What's the best way of pursuing the underlying cause of [t]his inadvertently volatile behaviour, which appears to be a bug in your MQL4 to Java converter?

Are we supposed to be psychic as well? To take into consideration bugs in your platform which aren't mentioned in the contest rules, in the platform manual, or on the forum?

Jim

Post subject: Re: Hello Houston - We have a problem Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Wed 22 Sep, 2010, 08:51 

If in your opinion there is a bug, please post the issue with full details and descriptions in the JForex forum called "Strategy Converter".

Post subject: Re: Hello Houston - We have a problem Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Sun 10 Apr, 2011, 15:07 

Guest wrote:
Hi Contest Support,

Contest Support wrote:

I realise that. However, since nobody has answered it yet, I'll repeat my question of the 17th inst if I may:

Quote:
What's the best way of pursuing the underlying cause of [t]his inadvertently volatile behaviour, which appears to be a bug in your MQL4 to Java converter?

Are we supposed to be psychic as well? To take into consideration bugs in your platform which aren't mentioned in the contest rules, in the platform manual, or on the forum?

Jim

I just notice the issue about over-the-weekend leveraged from another user's topic ,today!

So i not considered this on my old strategy developed in past several days. :shock:

Well,from viewpoint of Dukascopy's support,i can accept even that not wroten in rules.
Because this may already regarded as common sense for them and senior traders in Dukascopy.

On the other hands,
Of course,it will be more prefect if this was described in rules.
So that new users able to aware this in begining.(if they not read this board and relative topics on time)

But on the other hands,
Seem most of Top-10 strategies not handle this issue,
So i not notice this issure from their codes.
(seem just 1(or 2) strategy have check time,so i wonder why he do so that time)

Well,i think its not hard to put some code to handle this issue.
Take a example:
To close order and not to put new order if the time is friday's night on your Strategy(EA).

I can do this for yours and just 1 USD if anyone need this service.

Jump to:  

© 1998-2024 Dukascopy® Bank SA
On-line Currency forex trading with Swiss Forex Broker - ECN Forex Brokerage,
Managed Forex Accounts, introducing forex brokers, Currency Forex Data Feed and News
Currency Forex Trading Platform provided on-line by Dukascopy.com