Dukascopy

Wiki JStore Search Login

Usage of CPU cores
 Post subject: Usage of CPU cores Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Sat 02 Sep, 2017, 18:21 

User rating: 2
Hello.

Can jforex platform use 8 cores to test strategy on historical data tester? I am going to buy new CPU to do it faster (test more strategies at the same time), but i want to know if Jforex platform can use that power. (some programs don't support more than x cores)

Greetings.

Post subject: Re: Usage of CPU cores Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Tue 05 Sep, 2017, 11:05 

User rating: 21
Your OS will optimize the CPU load but normally back testing cannot be shared on too many cores.
A good solution would be cutting your entire test period into several time intervals.
Then you open the same amount of JForex as you have time intervals and start one Historical Tester on each of the interval.
You can run them at the same time!

Another solultion would be multi threading your strategy.
We have experience with this, but it could mean some of work.
You can email me if you have more questions.

Bernhard
[email protected]

Post subject: Re: Usage of CPU cores Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Thu 07 Sep, 2017, 08:34 

Thanks for answer SFXbernhard, indeed i would like to know how many strategies I can run at the same time (one JForex platform) and how many CPU cores/threads can it use. Probably single strategy won't go faster (i don't need it), but probably few similar strategies can work in the same time.

example:
Single strategy test takes 10h and 50% CPU on 2.5GHz 2 cores 4 threads (2.5 x 4 = 10 ; 10 x 50% = 5 GHz) - It means I can run 2 strategies at the same time;
I am going to have stronger CPU and run let's say 10 strategies at the same time (~ at least 10 x 5 = 50 GHz - it's just simple example). So CPU with 3.2 GHz 8cores 16 threads should have needed power (3.2 x 16 = 51,2 Ghz)

My question:
Is JForex can handle 8 cores / 16 thread or more and test at least 10 strategies at the same time? (if not tell me numbers how many strategies cores and threads can it manage)

I would like to get answer from someone who tested it at similar conditions or know how JForex works (someone who build this) ;)

The Best Answer  Post subject: Re: Usage of CPU cores Post rating: 1   New post Posted: Tue 31 Oct, 2017, 10:13 
JForex Master

User rating:
Combinations get split by each core when Historical Tester optimization is run.

Post subject: Re: Usage of CPU cores Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Fri 17 Nov, 2017, 16:31 

Could you change max combinations amount? (1000 is too low)

Post subject: Re: Usage of CPU cores Post rating: 1   New post Posted: Thu 21 Dec, 2017, 15:40 

User rating: 21
You could also rent a Linux server or several servers and run plenty of backtests there.
When you do not need your backtests anymore, you simply cancel your contract.

Please watch this video, I did a small introduction into Linux. It is a free OS.
https://www.dukascopy.com/tv/en/226550

Bernhard from
Stash GmbH
Munich

Jump to:  

© 1998-2024 Dukascopy® Bank SA
On-line Currency forex trading with Swiss Forex Broker - ECN Forex Brokerage,
Managed Forex Accounts, introducing forex brokers, Currency Forex Data Feed and News
Currency Forex Trading Platform provided on-line by Dukascopy.com