Dukascopy

Wiki JStore Search Login

HOW_TO import an indicator into Visual JForex?
 Post subject: HOW_TO import an indicator into Visual JForex? Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Mon 31 Dec, 2018, 03:58 

User rating: 0
how do you EXPORT an indicator from JForex and then IMPORT it into Visual JForex?

too many indicators are not available in Visual JForex, seriously limiting its usefulness. hence the question.

Post subject: Re: HOW_TO import an indicator into Visual JForex? Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Wed 02 Jan, 2019, 16:53 
Visual JForex expert at Dukascopy

User rating:
Hello.

It is impossible from clients side.
Please specify the indicator you need so we would add it in the next version.

Kind regards, Support Team.

Post subject: Re: HOW_TO import an indicator into Visual JForex? Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Thu 03 Jan, 2019, 05:52 

Vadim, theoretically speaking, since one can write a strategy in Java for JForex using any of the built-in JForex studies, it is logical to expect Visual JForex to be a mirror image of JForex in terms of provided studies. Both end up as Java executable files in the end. So just from the point of view of being consistent, it would nice and helpful to make available to Visual JForex users the same tools already available for JForex users.

Now, from a personal standpoint, what I'd like to have access to in VJF are the following:

- EF_Transform
- LINEARREG
- LINEARREG_ANGLE
- LINEARREG_INTERCEPT
- LINEARREG_SLOPE
- LRSI
- NATR
- PERSBBANDS
- PERSBBANDS_EXT
- TSF
- WALLABY

for math:

- a log block (ln and log)

for data structure:

- a vector that grows dynamically as one adds more elements to it
- a double array or matrix that also grows dynamically
- a function to clear the above, ie reset the vector and matrix to empty with default size
- a floor and ceiling function for when the decimal part is not useful in the strategy computation

in other:

- a pre-built block that returns a boolean when the output of a previous block (indicator or price) has been increasing/decreasing over a specified period
- a pre-built block that returns a boolean when price has crossed over/under some indicator line or an indicator or multiple indicator lines have crossed over/under (would save users time and space on the VJF canvas instead of having users to create a whole set of block to do this)
- a pre-puilt block that checks if the output of another block matches a specified condition over a specified look-back period

And most importantly, better documentation of all blocks. it is difficult to understand what type of output a block generates when these output are not described at all. For example, the block FRACTAL in Bill Williams's section, only contains a general description of what the indicator does. But no description of what the outputs are. When used programmatically, we need to know whether we are dealing with integers, floats, or booleans. In the case of FRACTAL, it would be nice to know when an UP/DOWN arrow has been created, so a boolean called UP could contain TRUE if the arrow has been generated.

But the point is, the VJF documentation lacks in details and it would be a huge improvement to have it documented at the same level of detail as an API.

Other than that, you guys have done a great job with VJF. Brilliant idea and very nice UI, although the UX is not as good: slow as in not as responsive as a desktop UI. I leave the PC on for days and notice a slowing down in the UI's response to my mouse interactions. Could be Adobe Flash. Also, when using the Help-->Documentation menu, the web page that comes up is always empty and I tried with FF, Chrome, and Edge: nothing. So this is why I say there needs to be some more documentation, and hopefully very detailed.

Attachments:
VJF_docs.PNG [53.58 KiB]
Downloaded 432 times
DISCLAIMER: Dukascopy Bank SA's waiver of responsability - Documents, data or information available on this webpage may be posted by third parties without Dukascopy Bank SA being obliged to make any control on their content. Anyone accessing this webpage and downloading or otherwise making use of any document, data or information found on this webpage shall do it on his/her own risks without any recourse against Dukascopy Bank SA in relation thereto or for any consequences arising to him/her or any third party from the use and/or reliance on any document, data or information found on this webpage.

Post subject: Re: HOW_TO import an indicator into Visual JForex? Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Thu 03 Jan, 2019, 11:26 

User rating:
Thank you for your feedback.

Indicators list was forwarded in request to developers.

Ln(x) is available in Calculation expression block.

Arrays and matrix are not available in Visual JForex yet.

Other functions requested in "pre-built block"s can be solved in basic logic comparison of variables in If blocks.

More documentation:
https://www.dukascopy.com/vfhelper/down ... _locale=EN

Attachments:
P1.png [55.07 KiB]
Downloaded 412 times
DISCLAIMER: Dukascopy Bank SA's waiver of responsability - Documents, data or information available on this webpage may be posted by third parties without Dukascopy Bank SA being obliged to make any control on their content. Anyone accessing this webpage and downloading or otherwise making use of any document, data or information found on this webpage shall do it on his/her own risks without any recourse against Dukascopy Bank SA in relation thereto or for any consequences arising to him/her or any third party from the use and/or reliance on any document, data or information found on this webpage.

Post subject: Re: HOW_TO import an indicator into Visual JForex? Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Thu 03 Jan, 2019, 21:54 

vadim_berezhnoj wrote:
Hello.

It is impossible from clients side.
Please specify the indicator you need so we would add it in the next version.

One more thing as I just noticed that in VJF you can't chain the output of an indicator into the input of another indicator such as, for ex, the StochRSI, but you can in JF.

--EDIT BEGIN--
just tried a MA block --> Assign block in which I cast the output variable to Instrument type, and now when i connect the output from Assign to RMI, VJF let's me specify this output var as input in the instrument drop down list. Is this the correct way to you chain indicators?
--EDIT END--

This is a problem as I am using JF to prototype ideas that I will later implement in VJF. So what I am doing in JF at the moment, I can't translate it to VJF.

Therefore, it would definitely be an improvement if the functionality available in JF, ie piping the output of an indicator into the input of another one, were also available in VJF. Also, I don't know if you noticed, but building simple strats based only on classic indicators does not yield optimal results even if some of these strats may be profitable, there are not optimal due to the flawed nature of all classical indicators.

Post subject: Re: HOW_TO import an indicator into Visual JForex? Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Thu 03 Jan, 2019, 22:04 

vadim_berezhnoj wrote:

Vadim, Adobe reader can't open this PDF file. It complains there's an error in the file format. I've attached a screenshot of the error as well as the Adobe Reader version I am using, which is the latest as I just did an update.

Could you please provide a compatible PDF of the docs? Thanks.

Attachments:
adobe_reader_vs.PNG [31.73 KiB]
Downloaded 404 times
adobe_reader_error.PNG [8.9 KiB]
Downloaded 397 times

Post subject: Re: HOW_TO import an indicator into Visual JForex? Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Thu 03 Jan, 2019, 22:21 

vadim_berezhnoj wrote:
Other functions requested in "pre-built block"s can be solved in basic logic comparison of variables in If blocks.

Yes, I understand that. I did mention it though because it would be a nice add-on to have as using a built-in block would not only save user time and space on the canvas: 1 block instead of many IF blocks to implement what is, after all, something very basic and easy for a team of professional devs to implement. Also, this is basic functionality a user would expect having out-of-the-box when trying to programmatically analyze the market--tradingview.com has a bunch of these functions already implemented in their Pine language. I mean, it just makes sense to add such basic building blocks as it would increase usability and UX factor.

All I am saying is: anything that can be added to make users' life easier and help create strats faster is always a plus. The higher this metric goes, and more users will come to VJF. Well, perhaps not, but I can't think why not, especially when the other option is opening the SDK in Eclipse and having to deal with the excessive boilerplate of the code and verbosity of Java. I used to be a Java dev years ago and although I could do it in Eclipse, what I just mentioned turns me off so much I don't even want to consider it. And that's coming from a ex-developer. Imagine how user with no background in programming must feel. Perhaps I have been spoiled by the terse syntax of functional languages or am just plain lazy ;-), but it's really hard to go back to Java when it's that ugly. Anyways, a pet peeve of mine when it comes to programming languages.

Thanks for taking all this into consideration.

Post subject: Re: HOW_TO import an indicator into Visual JForex? Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Fri 04 Jan, 2019, 10:55 

User rating:
There wouldn't be chained indicator output in VJ in the nearest time.

Try to re-download the documentation from here.
https://www.dukascopy.com/vfhelper/docu ... _locale=EN

Indicators cross logic consists of 3 (three) IF blocks. Isn't that easy enough?

JForex API strategy can be developed right in JForex platform without Eclipse.

Post subject: Re: HOW_TO import an indicator into Visual JForex? Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Fri 04 Jan, 2019, 19:59 

vadim_berezhnoj wrote:
There wouldn't be chained indicator output in VJ in the nearest time.

Try to re-download the documentation from here.
https://www.dukascopy.com/vfhelper/docu ... _locale=EN

Indicators cross logic consists of 3 (three) IF blocks. Isn't that easy enough?

JForex API strategy can be developed right in JForex platform without Eclipse.

Well then, I guess it's back to coding the old fashioned way with the steep learning curve of learning the SDK. My point was that anything the dev team could do to help user develop faster, the better. So yes, 3 IF blocks is easy enough, but 1 built-in block is easier, faster, and takes less space than 3 and does not require the creation of a group. This is called usability improvement. I mean, isn't it the whole idea behind creating VJF in the first place? To give non-programmers a faster and easier learning curve compared to learning how to use an SDK?

All the obvious and basic functionality should be available out-of-the-box, not just half way--that's what a complete product is supposed to be. And it doesn't require a lot of resources on your end to make it happen. So I really don't understand why after so many years, it still has not been done. I think you get my point, right? As such, VJF is still an unfinished product. Especially, since indicator chaining is not available. Why is the VJF functionality set not symmetrical with JForex? Doesn't the dev team have a tool that can simply convert JF java files to VJF files in seconds? I mean, this is the obvious thing to do from day one. If I had been the program manager, that's the first thing I would have put in the product requirement list.

Anyway, it's too bad it's not a priority anymore because VJF is a brilliant idea that could be improved so much more.

As to the documentation, FF downloads the same doc as before with the same error. Chrome can't even access the webpage without a SPDY protocol error. Come on, this is getting ridiculous.
Here is the screenshot.

Would it be possible for your team to fix these errors: unreadable PDF file, broken site? It's been a week I am trying to use VJF and no progress. 1 week! I am a patient guy, but honestly, it's becoming difficult to wait longer for something that should not be such an issue.

Can you put a readable PDF on github? Or share it via Dropbox?

Attachments:
VJF+PDF_site_error.PNG [31.6 KiB]
Downloaded 424 times
adobe_reader_site_error.PNG [6.03 KiB]
Downloaded 404 times
adobe_reader_error.PNG [8.9 KiB]
Downloaded 389 times

Post subject: Re: HOW_TO import an indicator into Visual JForex? Post rating: 1   New post Posted: Mon 14 Jan, 2019, 11:37 

User rating:
EF_TRANSFORM indicator was added.

Jump to:  

© 1998-2024 Dukascopy® Bank SA
On-line Currency forex trading with Swiss Forex Broker - ECN Forex Brokerage,
Managed Forex Accounts, introducing forex brokers, Currency Forex Data Feed and News
Currency Forex Trading Platform provided on-line by Dukascopy.com