Dukascopy

Wiki JStore Search Login

Step by step VJF strategy development as in API
 Post subject: Step by step VJF strategy development as in API Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Sun 14 Jan, 2018, 22:08 

User rating: 0
Greetings to all!

Although VJF is presented as an easy tool for non-programmers to build strategies with I am unable to get started developing some trading hypotheses.

At this point I need to hire a programmer or I would need the following:

I've found that, under Development there is a step by step JavaSE strategy building tutorial called Simple Strategy:
https://www.dukascopy.com/wiki/en/devel ... e-strategy

This tutorial is much more detailed and gradual (step by step) than the videos supplied for Visual JF.

Now, I would like to request a similar step by step tutorial for VJF. It should be written not in video format and more detailed than the current written VJF instructions and it should cover the step by step creation of a strategy, from including the account, equity, margin, position parameters to introducing variables and so on.

The strategy itself might be simple but we could later improve upon it by adding more blocks. Where I'm lost is in the how to begin and what to include and how in the beginning of the strategy, which Simple Strategy seems to do in Java.

I think such an effort might be welcome in our community of Java illiterates and it would allow us to experiment with trading hypotheses that are not verifiable without a testable strategy. That is it would allow us to answer questions like the following: What percentage of times, after the preceding 1hr bar has closed in the green (Close>Open) does a long position entered at the 5 minute countertrend low (by MACD or Stochastics or RSI?) produce a profit of n pips vs. a loss of n pips?

These kinds of questions would help in live trading as well as allow for automated strategy creation.

I hope this request is not something that most readers of this forum find ridiculous or useless, in which case I apologize for the sorry state of my intellect, but it's what I would need in order to take advantage of VJF.

Thank you,

RadarTradar

Post subject: Re: Step by step VJF strategy development as in API Post rating: 1   New post Posted: Mon 15 Jan, 2018, 14:35 
Visual JForex expert at Dukascopy

User rating: 288
Hi,

Well, we'll try to help as much as we can but advanced development requires some time even with Visual JForex.
Let's breakdown this statement:
What percentage of times, after the preceding 1hr bar has closed in the green (Close>Open) does a long position entered at the 5 minute countertrend low (by MACD or Stochastics or RSI?) produce a profit of n pips vs. a loss of n pips?
1/ detect 1h green bar --> This can be done with subscribing to 1H candle period and IF with Close > Open
2/ 5mn counter trend low : You must call 5mn candles as well right after the RED 1H bar is detected then make sure this 5mn bar is red
3/ MACD or stich or RSI conditions ?? please elaborate ...
4/ If the above are defining the entry conditions what are the exit conditions though ? this will help to determine the p&l you're asking for.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Step by step VJF strategy development as in API Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Mon 15 Jan, 2018, 20:51 

Hello,

Thank you for your kind answer.

Where I am stuck is not (yet) at the level of the specific mechanics of the strategy but rather at the level of all the things that must be included in a strategy before arriving at the actual strategy program. In my original question I provided an actual example of a simple strategy but that was not the question.

What I want to know is what needs to be included before we get to specifying the strategy part.

I believe that would be stuff relating to account, default instrument, default interval, trade size, equity, margin, time of operation and so on.

Is there a pre-assembled block that can just be inserted and modified, which specifies all these items?

How should these items be included? Before the strategy part? After?

Is it not needed? Does VJF automatically take care of all that?

Well, that was my question, really.

Best,

RadarTradar

Post subject: Re: Step by step VJF strategy development as in API Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Tue 16 Jan, 2018, 06:43 

User rating: 5
Greetings RaderTrader,

We can create any kind of strategy on the Visual JForex Flash editor that can be done using the .JAVA language. Also, Mr.Chourou has done a great deal of work on the Visual JForex tutorial PDF and continues to add more examples to it that can be helpful to a vast number of users.

Now as for your general question about a block for "account, default instrument, default interval, trade size, equity, margin, time of operation and so on. ", a single block do not exist to cover all of those features all in one but "Open at Market" and "Pending Order" blocks do cover most of such components. If you can be more precise as to what exactly are you trying to achieve on your VJF strategy, then I can share some examples with you. Better yet, take a look at my strategy submission for the current month's Strategy Contest and you will get a much better idea about arranging the blocks (though forgive me for a couple of mistakes in the current version of my strategy if you notice them).

Looking forward to your next post with some more details as to your inquiry.

Post subject: Re: Step by step VJF strategy development as in API Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Tue 16 Jan, 2018, 15:53 

Ngiyabonga. Ngizobuka uhlelo lwakho lokuhweba futhi ufunde kulo

:D
:roll:

The Best Answer  Post subject: Re: Step by step VJF strategy development as in API Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Tue 16 Jan, 2018, 16:52 

User rating: 5
:lol: Should you have any questions, then feel free to post below. Also, if you look at some of the previous threads in the Visual JForex section of the forum, especially the ones where Mr.Chourou has replied back by providing VFS file examples, then studying those can help you a great deal as well to better understand about the Visual JForex components and the right way to arrange them.

All the best! :)

Jump to:  

© 1998-2024 Dukascopy® Bank SA
On-line Currency forex trading with Swiss Forex Broker - ECN Forex Brokerage,
Managed Forex Accounts, introducing forex brokers, Currency Forex Data Feed and News
Currency Forex Trading Platform provided on-line by Dukascopy.com