Dukascopy

Wiki JStore Search Login

Showing parameter values of running strategies?
 Post subject: Showing parameter values of running strategies? Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Thu 23 Oct, 2014, 04:53 

User rating: 0
Hi

When a strategy is running you can see what Preset is used for the parameters. However, if there are no stopped strategies loaded the Preset selector and Parameters button disappear, so you cannot see what values are stored in the Preset.

Is it possible to see what values are in the Presets without having a stopped strategy loaded, i.e. to see what values are used for the running strategies?

Cheers
Tony

Post subject: Re: Showing parameter values of running strategies? Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Thu 23 Oct, 2014, 12:28 

User rating: 164
Hi,

Let's separate the preset values from the running strategy values, if I may suggest.
Preset values are just, well, preset values ;). Not sure that your running strategy instance is using the preset...

Presets are stored in xml files. You could open/edit a particular xml to see its values.

About running strategy parameters:
If I am not mistaken there was in the past a Parameters entry somewhere in the pop-up menus of running strategies. This menu item was first disabled. I am not sure if it is still there at all now...
Anyway, to have a running strategy's parameters you need some coding, as the platform itself cannot give you that.
There are several ways to achieve this:
- let the strategy print out its parameter upon start (print to a file, or to the console)
- create a separate tab for the strategy that contains information about parameters

This latter option also makes it possible to change a certain parameter on the fly, without restarting the strategy. Just you have to build in a reoccurring event that takes care of 'processing' the modified parameters.

This might help you to get started.

Post subject: Re: Showing parameter values of running strategies? Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Fri 24 Oct, 2014, 00:35 

User rating: 0
tcsabina

Thanks for your reply. I understand that presets are just collections of values that can be used to load parameters of a strategy.

The window that allows viewing, editing and saving values in presets is opened by clicking the parameter button next to the preset drop-down box. However, that is only visible when there is a stopped strategy loaded. If there are no strategies, or only running ones, then the preset window is not available (as far as I can tell). See attached images.

I thought it would be useful to be able to review what values were used for a running strategy without having to stop it. For example, one of my strategy instances did something unexpected, but I was unable to tell if it was an incorrect parameter setting or a bug in my code, without stopping the strategy to see the values stored in the preset I used.

It's no big deal; I am now printing them to the strategy log in onStart().

Cheers
Tony

Attachments:
Preset_Box_Not_Present.png [31.64 KiB]
Downloaded 446 times
Preset_Box_Present.png [27.53 KiB]
Downloaded 321 times
DISCLAIMER: Dukascopy Bank SA's waiver of responsability - Documents, data or information available on this webpage may be posted by third parties without Dukascopy Bank SA being obliged to make any control on their content. Anyone accessing this webpage and downloading or otherwise making use of any document, data or information found on this webpage shall do it on his/her own risks without any recourse against Dukascopy Bank SA in relation thereto or for any consequences arising to him/her or any third party from the use and/or reliance on any document, data or information found on this webpage.

Post subject: Re: Showing parameter values of running strategies? Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Mon 27 Oct, 2014, 12:44 

User rating: 164
Hi,
Quote:
I thought it would be useful to be able to review what values were used for a running strategy without having to stop it.

You could create a Feature Request item with this. Maybe Dukascopy will consider it...

Jump to:  

© 1998-2024 Dukascopy® Bank SA
On-line Currency forex trading with Swiss Forex Broker - ECN Forex Brokerage,
Managed Forex Accounts, introducing forex brokers, Currency Forex Data Feed and News
Currency Forex Trading Platform provided on-line by Dukascopy.com