Dukascopy

Wiki JStore Search Login

Attention! Read the forum rules carefully before posting a topic.

Try to find an answer in Wiki before asking a question.
    Submit programming questions in this forum only.
    Off topics are strictly forbidden.

Any topics which do not satisfy these rules will be deleted.

Does Historical Tester uses "many processor cores" to improve testing speed? Please, answer as quick as You can :)
 Post subject: Does Historical Tester uses "many processor cores" to improve testing speed? Please, answer as quick as You can :) Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Mon 22 Dec, 2014, 16:06 

User rating: 0
Greetings,

i have a question, and i would be very grateful for quick answer, because Christmas are very close, and "at Christmas" i would not be able to purchase access to VPS server, which i'm considering doing solely for purpose of using 'historical tester'.

Here is my story:
I'm using 'historical tester'. It works just fine, i've compared "my testing times" with those, which are experienced by other users on this forum, and i can tell, that mine 'times of testing' are not worse than average.

Still, testing what i want, on all combination of settings i want, and on few years "periods", is taking quite a lot of time.

My pc is far from the best, it's single core 3GHz, and 4 Gb of ram. It's not only 'numbers' of my pc, but also fact, that those components are 2 years old.

Here is my questions:

If I buy myself access to VPS server with something like new type processors, 4x3,5Ghz , 8 Gb Ram etc - will it very much improve time, that 'historical tester' need to deal with testing?

Will "historical tester" use, for example, 4 cores of processor?
I've read, that only programs written in certain way are able to use many cores.
If 'historical tester' will certainly use only one core, it would be than pointless for me to buy access for some 4x3,5 ghz thing.

Will bigger amount of ram, i mean - increasing it from 4gb to 8gb - also improve 'historical tester times'?

I've asked for quick answer, because in few days we have christmas, which means, that i will not be able to purchase access to VPS for many days.

Thanks You very much for Your answers and help,

Kind regards,
nine99

Post subject: Re: Does Historical Tester uses "many processor cores" to improve testing speed? Please, answer as quick as You can :) Post rating: 0   New post Posted: Tue 23 Dec, 2014, 22:28 

User rating: 0
I have called Dukascopy support and get my answer, so i'll just share it here, for the sake of users that may search for way to speed up historical tester.

Gentleman with whose i was speaking, told me, that i should check how much CPU 'Jforex'[ = java process ] is using when 'historical tester' working. In my case, on one core 3 ghz with 4 gb ram, it was around 50-70%. Sometimes higher, but mostly around those values.

I was told than there is no sense at all with trying to run 'historical tester' on faster machine, because even my computer's power isn't fully used by testing, so faster machine will not make testing faster.

I've checked this theory in practise today.
I had a chance today to run 'Jforex' at E3-1230, 16GB DDR3, 100 mb/s server machine.

I can't swear that 'historical tester' was not even tiny faster on that pc, but the power of this computer is many times greater than the ones i'm using and 'historical tester' times of testing was almost the same, if not identical.

So - if You hope, like me, that faster processor, and more ram, and very fast internet will reduce testing time from an hour to 3 seconds, than i'm afraid, that You'll be dissapointed :)

I hope my post will spare someone time and unnecessary work.

Kind regards,
nine99

Jump to:  

© 1998-2024 Dukascopy® Bank SA
On-line Currency forex trading with Swiss Forex Broker - ECN Forex Brokerage,
Managed Forex Accounts, introducing forex brokers, Currency Forex Data Feed and News
Currency Forex Trading Platform provided on-line by Dukascopy.com